Sunday, July 17, 2016

Top 20 #18: Django Reinhardt

Imagine you're in a cafe in Paris. The tables are crowded, over in the corner two people are having a spirited discussion in French, the smell of roasted coffee beans hangs in the air, it's bright, sunlight reflects off of the brass fixtures at the bar area... what music do you hear playing? Chances are it's either Django Reinhardt, or someone who was heavily influenced by him.

The manouche jazz/hot jazz style that everyone -- or, at least, most Americans -- associate with France was started by Django Reinhardt in the 1930s, who continued playing until his early death in 1953. Without getting too much into music theory, Reinhardt essentially created an entirely new style of jazz guitar. He also wrote several pieces which are now jazz standards.

But enough of that boring stuff. Why is Django #18? You just have to listen to him to know. The way he plays is so fluid and fantastic... I'm listening to him right now, and I can't even come up with words to describe it, other than to say you have to hear it. It's so relaxing and beautiful. Just listen to it, you'll understand.

I think he's the greatest guitarist who ever lived. There are periods I go through where I might say someone else, if I don't want the conversation to drag on and on (I've found that jazz freaks and guitar teachers are usually the only ones who know about him), but I always come back to Django. The first time I heard him, I knew it. I knew "This is the greatest guitarist of all time, and I'm never going to think anyone else is better. No one will ever compare to Django."

The thing I love most about his playing is how he always seems to know how to use the right amount of notes. When I listen to him, there are times when I feel like "Oh man, this is on the verge of being too busy", and it's like, as soon as I think that, he either slows down, or takes a step back and lets someone else take over. Django is not only a technically great guitarist, he also knows when to let other people take the spotlight. You need confidence in your talent to be able to take a backseat and let someone else shine. How many of us have seen a band with a really good guitarist who just shreds the whole time? After about 15 minutes, you're bored with it.

Django makes it to #19 because I learned a lot from him. Not only in terms of the influence that manouche has had on my style ("Three Note Song", "Fuck You and The Horse You Rode In On", and "Little Golden Birdies" are all poor imitations of Django tunes), but learning that there's a time and a place for what you do as a musician. It's not all about you. Let other people have their turn. Yours will always come at the perfect moment.

I guess the most important thing he taught me is that when it comes to music, sometimes you're the soloist, and other times you're in the rhythm section.


No comments:

Post a Comment